You will set off on foot for a guided visit of Mainz. Located on the banks of the Rhine opposite the confluence of the Rhine with the Main, Mainz will captivate you with its quite incomparable lifestyle, its unique charm and its openness to the world. You will be able to immerse yourself in this unique atmosphere as you wander round the Market Square, in the middle of which stands the Heunensäule, a sandstone column commemorating the history of Mainz, erected in 1975 on the occasion of the Cathedral millennium celebrations. In the company of your guide, you will be able to enter the magnificent Cathedral, whose construction started in 975 and which has left a deep mark on the history of the town. The interior of the cathedral houses some wonderful historic treasures, including tombs and funerary monuments from the 13th to the 18th centuries. You will also be able to admire the striking contrast between the massive red sandstone cathedral and the Romanesque Gotthard Chapel in light-colored stone. You will also have the opportunity to wander up and down the lovingly restored streets in the old town towards Gutenbergplatz. Gutenberg was born in Mainz between 1394 and 1400 and is acknowledged in Europe as the inventor of the printing press with mobile letters. You will also discover a German tradition as you admire the Carnival Fountain.
Duration : approx. 2:15
- Included in the FES program
- Good walking shoes are recommended: visit on foot.
- The order of the visits can change.
- Times are approximate.
- These excursions are not proposed for all the cruises and depend on the itinerary.
- If the minimum of 25 participants is not reached, the excursion may be either cancelled or proposed at another rate, depending on the number of participants (to be paid for on board).
- The excursions on the first evening and the morning following boarding are only guaranteed for the passengers who have booked the excursion before the cruise.