Departure by coach with your guides to visit the sights of the island of Corfu. First of all you will visit the Achilleon Palace, built in 1889-1891 on the orders of Empress Elisabeth (better known as "Sisi") in honour of her favourite Greek hero, Achilles. The neo-classical palace is dedicated to Achilles and the Iliad and is decorated, as are the gardens, with numerous classical statues including the "Dying Achilles", the emblem of the residence.
The visit will continue by coach through the Kanoni peninsula, an extraordinarily beautiful site. You will be able to admire the unforgettable view where all the shades of blue and green mingle, in the sky, the sea and the nature of Corfu. Off the coast of Kanoni there is an island on which stands the Vlacherna monastery, and the famous Pontikonissi Island (Mouse Island), with the Church of Pantokrator. According to legend, Mouse island is said to be Ulysses' mythical ship which Poseidon turned to stone, as Homer tells us in the Odyssey.
The visit will end with a walking tour down the winding streets in the island's capital, Corfu City, whose Old Town developed in a confined space, between two fortresses and encircled by ramparts. You will visit St Spyridon church, the city's most famous monument, built at the end of the 16th century and whose interior will stun you with the splendor of its Byzantine icons.
Duration : approx. 3:30
- Good walking shoes are recommended.
- The order of the visits can change.
- Times are approximate.
- These excursions are not proposed for all the cruises and depend on the itinerary.
- The excursions on the first evening and the morning following boarding are only guaranteed for the passengers who have booked the excursion before the cruise.
- If the minimum of 25 participants is not reached, the excursion may be either cancelled or proposed at another rate, depending on the number of participants (to be paid for on board).