Elba, the third largest island in Italy, is home to a wide range of vegetation and remarkable flowers, fascinating and historic remote spots, vestiges of the Roman and Etruscan civilizations, and Spanish-style ports. What really makes Elba famous and renowned are its clear blue sea and gorgeous scenery. The island is dominated by a mountain range, with the highest summit being Mount Capanne (3,343 ft.).
We’ll leave from Portoferraio and head west, stopping at Marciana Marina, a charming city whose old town is considered among the most beautiful in Italy. This is without a doubt one of the oldest and most romantic areas - with its colorful buildings, their walls eroded by the salt, set high up on the steep cliffs. The vast coastline, dotted with tamarisks, is the perfect place for a hike on a trail that eventually ends up at Appiani Tower. Built in the 16th century, the tower was a vital defense against pirates at the time.
We’ll continue on to Chiessi, a small hamlet surrounded by granite cliffs, and Pomonte, famous for its white sand beaches. From the top of the hills, when the weather is crystal clear, you can see the islands lying south of Elba: Pianosa, Montecristo, Giglio and Corsica. Our next stop will be the gorgeous bay in Fetovaia.
Before returning to the ship in Portoferraio, we’ll pay a visit to the small fishing village of Marina di Campo, one of the best known resorts on the island, dominated by its tower. You’ll be able to stroll on the magnificent promenade along the coastline.
At the end of our visit, we'll return on board in Portoferraio.
Duration: approx. 4:30
- Wear comfortable, sturdy walking shoes, even though this is primarily a coach tour.
- For your well-being, wear practical and comfortable clothing.
- The order of the visits can change.
- Times are approximate.
- If the minimum of 25 participants is not reached, the excursion may be either cancelled or proposed at another rate, depending on the number of participants (to be paid for on board).
- The excursions on the first evening and the morning following boarding are only guaranteed for the passengers who have booked the excursion before the cruise.
- These excursions are not proposed for all the cruises and depend on the itinerary.