From Xanten, there is a transfer by coach to Aachen. On arrival, a local guide will meet you and take you on a tour through the town’s historic centre. As you stroll along its narrow alleyways, you will learn all about the town, from its beautiful historic buildings to the countless tales and stories about the cathedral. Your guide will accompany you to the cathedral where you are free to visit at your leisure. Listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site since 1978, Aachen Cathedral is one of the finest examples of Western architecture and the oldest cathedral in northern Europe. More than 30 German kings were crowned here and the sanctuary, where Charlemagne is buried, is one of the most prestigious pilgrimage sites. You will also visit the Treasury (closed on Mondays). Of particular note is the collection of religious and sacral masterpieces from the Byzantine, Carolingian and Staufen periods. The “Cross of Lorraine” and the “Bust of Charlemagne” are part of the unique collection of treasures. After your visit there will be a little free time before transferring back by coach to Düsseldorf.
- Duration : 6:30 including 3hrs transfer
- The order of visits may be modified.
- These excursions are not proposed for all the cruises and depend on the itinerary.
- If the minimum of 25 participants is not reached, the excursion may be either cancelled or proposed at another rate, depending on the number of participants (to pay on board).
- The excursions of the first evening and the morning following the embarkation are only guaranteed for the passengers who have booked the excursion before the cruise.