Departure on foot for downtown Köln. You will discover the city in the company of your guide. Crossroads of Europe since the Middle Ages, Köln has kept its importance as a vibrant commercial and industrial city as well as a cultural and religious center. You will be able to admire the interiors of the huge Gothic Köln Cathedral which took five centuries to complete. Indeed, although construction started in 1247, it was interrupted due to a lack of financing in 1560 and only started again in 1842 upon request of Emperor Frederick Wilhelm IV, who had fallen in love with the building. Construction was finally completed in 1863 and the Gothic Cathedral was the highest building in the world from 1880 to 1884. Around the Cathedral, 12 other Romanesque style churches are set in a circle, representing the 12 holy apostles. We’ll then set out to visit the Farina Fragrance Museum, housing today the still-existing oldest perfumery in the world, the Farina House. You will discover how the famous Eau de Cologne is made through an exhibition of different distillation devices, as well as a display of small bottles and packaging. Return on board.
Duration : approx. 2:00
- Good walking shoes are recommended.
- The order of the visits can change.
- Times are approximate.
- These excursions are not proposed for all the cruises and depend on the itinerary.
- If the minimum of 25 participants is not reached, the excursion may be either cancelled or proposed at another rate, depending on the number of participants (to be paid for on board).
- The excursions on the first evening and the morning following boarding are only guaranteed for the passengers who have booked the excursion before the cruise.