Included in package tour:
- The Siebengebirge (Seven Mountains) Range
- The Palatinate Forest Nature Park
- The Lorelei
THE SIEBENGEBIRGE (SEVEN MOUNTAINS) RANGE
Leave by coach for the Margarethenhöhe and a hike through the Seven Mountains range. Through the wooded paths, we’ll climb up to the Drachenfels, located at 1,053 feet. From there, you’ll have a splendid view of Bonn and Cologne. Several legends surround the Drachenfels (Dragon’s Rock), most famously that of Siegfried, who killed the dragon Fafnir and then bathed in its blood to become invulnerable. We’ll return from the summit on foot.
- Length: 2.5 hours, 3.7 miles, 820-foot altitude difference
THE PALATINATE FOREST NATURE PARK
We’ll leave by coach for Annweiler for a hike through the Palatinate Forest Nature Park, where you’ll discover the highly diversified landscape and Trifels Castle (outside) the site where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned on his return from the Third Crusade. Loop trail. We’ll return to the ship by coach.
- Length: Approx. 3 hours, 5 miles, altitude difference: 656 feet
THROUGH THE VINEYARD - Eberbach Monastery
Leaving from Rudesheim. We’ll leave by coach for Hallgarten and hike through the vineyard to the Eberbach Cistercian Monastery, made famous by the film The Name of the Rose. We’ll have a guided tour of the monastery, followed by a tasting of the local wines. We’ll be transferred back to the ship.
- Length: Approx. 2.5 hours, 4.3 miles, altitude difference: 656 feet
HIKE UP TO THE LORELEI
Leaving from Sankt Goarshausen. Leave on foot and hike to the famous Lorelei Rock. Enjoy a great hike through the forest before arriving at the sultry statue at the summit, soaring some 393 feet above the waterline. The Lorelei is the official symbol of the Romantic Rhine and occupies a prominent place in German literature. At the summit, we’ll enjoy coffee and some cake. We’ll be transferred back to the ship.
- Length: Approx. 2 hours, 2.8 miles, altitude difference: 984 feet
- Wear comfortable, sturdy walking shoes
- The order of the visits can change