By coach accompanied by your guides, you will go to the Athens Acropolis, situated on a 150 m high rocky plateau and which in Ancient times was a vast sanctuary for the worship of the Goddess Athena and numerous other gods in Greek mythology. You will have the chance to discover the different temples on the site including the Parthenon, built in the Vth century BC and dedicated to Athena, whose gold and ivory statue stood in the sanctuary. The statue of Athena was destroyed during the siege of the city during the XIIth century crusades, and the Parthenon was turned into a Catholic church when the Franks occupied Athens, then into a mosque by the Turks in the XVIIth century. You will also visit a number of other remarkable monuments still standing such as the Erechtheion, an elegant little temple dating back to the Vth century BC; the Temple of Athena Nike, known in Ancient Greece as the "temple of victory"; the Propylaea, the monumental entrance to the Acropolis; the ancient Theatre of Dionysos and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus...
You will then return to the coach to complete the excursion with a panoramic tour of the modern city of Athens, also taking in the Agora, the centre of public life for the ancient Athenians. This square open space served a variety of purposes: political, religious, economic, commercial and cultural.
- Duration : ~ 4:30
- Good shoes are recommended.
- The order of visits can be modified.
- These excursions are not proposed for all the cruises and depend on the itinerary.
- If the minimum of 25 participants is not reached, the excursion may be either cancelled or proposed at another rate, depending on the number of participants (to pay on board).
- The excursions of the first evening and the morning following the embarkation are only guaranteed for the passengers who have booked the excursion before the cruise.