We’ll leave by coach with our guides for Mycenae. According to Greek mythology, Mycenae was founded by Perseus, who killed his grandfather and could no longer inherit the throne of Argos. The earliest mention of the city appears in Homer’s works. We’ll explore the site, including the citadel ruins, the awe-inspiring Lion’s Gates, and the Grave Circle A containing six royal grave shafts. A great number of objects and death masks were unearthed from this grave site, and they are now exhibited in the National Archaeological Museum of Athens. Mycenaean culture is the source of ancient epics and legends such as the labors of Hercules, the Trojan War, and Agamemnon's tragic life and death. We’ll then head to Epidaurus, reputed to be the birthplace of Apollo's son, Asclepius. It was known for its celebrated healing center, as well as its theater still in use today. Tour guides often scatter their groups in the stands to show how easy it is to hear the sound of a match struck at center stage. After our visits we’ll return to Nafplio.
- Length: Approx. 4.5 hours
- Wear comfortable, sturdy shoes.
- The order of the visits can change.
- These excursions are not offered on all the cruises. Please check your itinerary.
- If there is not a minimum of 25 participants, the excursion will be cancelled or offered at a higher rate according to the number of participants (payment on board).
- Excursions on the evening of boarding or the morning after boarding are only guaranteed for pre-registered participants.