This new, exclusive 10-day itinerary explores the best of the Rhine and Rhône, stretching from the North Sea to the Mediterranean.
Beginning in 2014, CroisiEurope will be offering an original 10-day cruise stretching from Amsterdam to Avignon. The first of its kind, this new itinerary offers guests a unique opportunity to discover the best of the Rhine and the Rhône, two of Europe’s most legendary rivers. During this cruise guests will be introduced to charming towns and historical sites throughout the interwoven country-sides of Holland, Germany and France. An array of optional onshore excursions are available to discover the cultural heritage and local landscapes that define these regions. Prices for this 10-day cruise, with April to September 2014 departure dates, begin at $1,824 per person double*, with the option of adding on excursions.
Highlights of this trip include:
- Journey through the waterways of Holland, Germany and to the south of France along the famous Rhine and Rhône rivers;
- Experience the rich 17th century architectural heritage of Amsterdam at night by glass covered riverboat;
- Explore the Aachen Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the oldest cathedral in Northern Europe while visiting Germany;
- Discover Avignon, the City of Popes, and the fortified Palace of the Popes, a citadel surrounded by ramparts and perched on a rocky outcropping over the river;
- Enjoy expertly prepared French cuisine with drinks including wine and beer, during on-board meals and drinks served at the bar (excluding champagne and wines on the wine list).
Before setting sail, this itinerary begins with two days in beautiful Amsterdam. Guests will experience the city’s rich architectural heritage on a glass covered river boat tour of Amsterdam or an excursion to Haarlem, a city teeming with medieval architectural influences. The journey continues down the Rhine, passing picturesque towns in Holland before porting in Xanten, Germany. This quaint village boasts over one million visitors per year due to its captivating medieval city center, large man-made lake and world-class museums. Here, guests will have the opportunity to take a guided excursion to the Aachen Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the oldest cathedral in Northern Europe.
The next two days will be spent traveling from Dusseldorf to Worms where guests will have the opportunity to delight in Cologne’s gothic cathedral, admire the famous Lorelei Rock and visit the Gutenberg museum in the beautifully restored town of Mainz. Early the next morning, the ship will arrive in Strasbourg, where guests will board a coach and head to Besançon for a sightseeing tour of this charming city. Visits on this tour will include Castan Square, St. Jean Cathedral and Besançon’s famous Citadel. After the tour, guests will hop back on the coach for a transfer to Chalons-Sur-Saone, where they will board the next ship bound for Lyon. Situated at the confluence of the Rhône and the Saône, Lyon is known for its historic and architectural landmarks. Travelers will have the opportunity to explore the city’s historic traboules, covered passageways, and the Sainte Jean quarter before continuing down the Rhône.
Along the journey to Avignon, the boat will port in the towns of Tournon and Arles. Upon arrival in Tournon guests can take a guided tour of the famous Tournon castle then indulge in the local cuisine and wine. In Arles, guests will have the chance to explore the Gallo-Roman ruins before journeying to the countryside to sample local olive oil. By midafternoon the ship will arrive at its final port of call, Avignon. With a rich papal history this town is full of culture and historical influences. The journey will end with a breathtaking, optional tour of this well preserved, historic town.
For complete details on this itinerary and excursions, please visit:
* Prices start at $1,824 per person double sharing a twin cabin on the lower deck and includes drinks with onboard meals, all drinks consumed at the bar (excluding champagne and drinks from the wine list) and coach transfer from Strasbourg to Chalon-sur-Saône. For single supplement or other pricing questions, please call CroisiEurope’s US Call Center at (800) 768-7232.